Friday, April 27, 2018

Resetting Service Requirement: Oil, How to reset the change oil warning

Resetting Service Requirement: Oil
How to reset the change oil warning

It's happened to all of us, we finish replacing the oil in our car and you are ready to move one, but then you remember you have to reset the computer in the car to tell it that it now has fresh oil.

This is the procedure:
-Close all doors. Switch Ignition ON

-Make sure lower display in cluster show clock and mileage.

-Press and hold trip odometer reset button for about 5 seconds until CBS icon begin to display in cluster.   Release button.

-Press turn signal lever BC button (arrow) repeatedly to scroll through CBS icons.  Find the oil symbol.

-For each icon the word RESET? is displayed. To reset a particular item, press and hold BC button.  A small analog clock icon is displayed.  When complete, then chosen CBS item is reset.

-To insure that the reset was done, press BC button while looking at CBS reset icon.  Acknowledgment of reset is shown with a check mark in a box.

Engine oil Capacity: 6.5 liters (6.9 US qt)
Keep in mind you never remove all the oil from your engine when change the oil.  The engine will always retain a bit of oil inside.  Warm up the engine before you remove the drain plug, this will help the oil come out.  The oil is more liquid when it's warm.

I use: Mobil 1  5W30

How to add oil:

The way I do it is, I add 4 to 5 quarts and then turn the car on, and 
I check how much oil the car has, then I add more as needed.  You will need to wait about 5 minutes for the car to read the oil level.  I never add 6.5 quarts to my car.

Tip:  When you check the oil level the very first time after changing the oil, and you turn your car off....  and you add more OIL....  Don't trust the level of the oil when you turn the car ON again.  you will need to drive it a bit for the "real" level to appear.  In my experience the level doesn't settle until you drive the car a bit.  Sometimes I think it's full but it's still not "full", until I check it a third time, after I drove the car. 


Happy Vanos... Happy Car
Vanos
The E90 330i 2006 prefers for the oil to be at MAX level.  Why?  Because the Vanos require a ton of oil to function properly.  If the Vanos are happy your car will run better.  Just my personal experience.   I made an article about cleaning the vanos, I will include a link below, it has A TON of info on VANOS:

https://msauceda1.blogspot.com/2014/10/vanos-service-with-instructions.html


The car will tell you when it's time to replace the oil
The CBS system recognizes when a service is required.  The Oil change interval is determined by engine oil condition sensor (OZS) monitoring oil condition, oil level, and oil temperature; and from additional algorithms using these parameters: Engine load, fuel consumption, time and distance since the last oil change.

Definition:
CBS: Condition Based Service (CBS)
OZS: Oil condition Sensor
Vanos: Variable camshaft timing solenoid


Oil Filter:
Always replace the oil filter at the same time you replace the oil.  Note that the Oil filter "KIT" comes with two "O" rings, one is big and it goes around the Oil housing, and the other is a small one.  The kit also comes with 1 crush washer, you have to replace these too.
Intervals between oil change:
I don't wait the "15K miles or 1 year" BMW oil change interval indicated in the car.  MAX i go 6 months, usually 5 months.  To be honest some time I do go close 15K miles, but then I have to add oil to my car, and then I get problems with the Vanos, and then I have to take out the vanos to clean them.  I have another blog where I show how to do this, link above.  Just change the oil every 5K miles, your car will reward you for it... 
To remove oil filter cap


Oil filter Cap removal tool

You will need one of these to remove the oil cap.  I have no affiliation with these
Amazon link at end of article...


NO Dipstick
I know... It's sad.  But this car doesn't have a tradition dipstick, to check the oil, you have to go inside the car and check oil level in the cluster.  The car has a sensor that tells it how much oil is the car.



BMW E90 330i 2006 


I hope you found this information useful,

See more, to go the main page: Blog Main Page

If you found the information helpful consider donating:


Oil filter cap removal tool:


E90 Oil filter kit

1 comment:

  1. Do you notice a different with the different types of 5w-30 from Mobil 1? Like extended performance, high mileage, or just the regular fully synthetic ?

    ReplyDelete