Wednesday, April 25, 2018

P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor "A", Bank 1


P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/ Performance (Bank 1 or Single Sensor)

BMW E90, 330i 2006

So I got up this morning and turned on my car, and my car took about 5 full seconds to turn on, the starter kept going until finally the car started, unfortunately it started very rough, now in it's defense I did drive it hard about 3 days ago and I parked it, so it was the first time since then that I started it.

But the car barely started, and then it was sputtering, barely staying on.  So I decided to check for codes and I got P0341.  Now I've replaced the sensor before about 5 years ago, so I figured well maybe they only last 5 years.... But it was NOT the sensor that was bad let me explain...

Symptoms:
Rough Idle, P0341 code, Low Oil, and recently replaced oil and "dirty Vanos".

This is what I did to fix it:

First: Cleaned both Intake and Exhaust Vanos:

This is how to clean the Vanos

Both Vanos, Intake and Exhaust.
Remove with 10mm socket and they pop out.  

Camshaft Sensor is on the right of the solenoids

To give you more room to remove the Vanos, remove the snorkel in top of the Radiator
VANOS: Both look the same, they are in fact exactly the same
Second: Added oil (1 Quart) 
Oil is Mobil 1: 5W30, this is 5 quarts, only add 1 quart, that will do it.

About the Oil Level...
PICTURE 1   :   Oil level is 2 blocks or Min.
PICTURE 2   :  Oil Level reads just above minimum, but still says OK on the display
Low oil check, with On Board Diagnostics, now note they both say OK, Picture 1 and Pictures 2... but in fact it's low, the E90's don't like it when you have the minimum oil level, it just runs better full, the Vanos are happier with MAX oil level, not OK level.  It has been my experience that the vanos stick when they have OK oil level, if they have MAX oil level they run better.
This is what you want to see.  All green bars full to the top
Third: Then drove it for 5 minutes, then code disappeared.


Why would this happen:

This is something I've noticed on my car, I am not sure if it happens to other people but I've noticed that if I don't replace the oil regularly and then I replace it,  YES, AFTER I replace the oil...  soon after I have sticking "VANOS" Solenoids, not sure why, but it has happened lots of times now, and I remember that each time I went 15K before replacing the oil... Now don't chew me out for not replacing the oil sooner, I know I should replace it ever 5K at least, but sometimes it's just not possible, I've had my car for a long time, and I know all the symptoms and quirks, like Doug De Mouro says...

I know the clearance on the Vanos is very tight, a very small amount of "paper" or "plastic" or "dirt" will bind the solenoid and it won't move, which is why you get the code for bad solenoid, technically it's correct, in that the vanos is stuck, but it just needs to be cleaned.  I have a few articles on how to clean the Vanos, I'll include a link:

https://msauceda1.blogspot.com/2014/10/vanos-service-with-instructions.html

If you must replace the sensor:  .... do this

If this doesn't fix your car, then you probably do have a bad sensor, this is where it's located:

Sensor on the right:  Camshaft Position Sensor "A", Bank 1 "intake"

It's very easy to replace, and you can get it here from Pelicanparts.com:
E90 Camshaft Position Sensor "A", Bank 1, Website link
www.pelicanparts.com  Picture of Sensor Camshaft Position sensor, bank 1
I am not affiliated with Pelicanparts.com, but they always have what I need, and they alway have useful pictures with good detail on how to repair my car, I always use them...




E90 2006 330i  with: 220K  so far...


I hope you found this information useful,

See more, to go the main page: Blog Main Page

If you found the information helpful consider donating:



Follow me on Facebook



4 comments:



  1. Many Autos repair and replace ABS sensor, ABS pump,ABS ring for all makes and models in Reading, United Kingdom. We also provide free collection and Delivery service from your home or place of work.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Many Autos repair and replace ABS sensor, ABS pump,ABS ring for all makes and models in Reading, United Kingdom. We also provide free collection and Delivery service from your home or place of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need help with my 2007 bmw 530i. Before I go into details i would like to know someone cares enough to listen before I go typing all this crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an 06 530. Will help if I can but will notice it quicker if you drop a comment on my YT. Google "Attuned BMW"

      Delete