Friday, April 6, 2018

Alternator Replacement: E90 330i 2006 BMW

Alternator Replacement

My wife and I went to eat not too long ago, and little did I know I was not going to make it back soon.

You see my car gave me a battery warning on the way there.  I knew my battery was low, I have an app that can monitor that, but because I don't drive my car as often as I use to, it often took a bit of freeway driving to "recondition" the battery, and so I kept going.  On my way back my E90 200 330i didn't want to go any more, I ended up getting towed back home.

Next day I got a replacement Alternator from my local Autozone, they had a lot to select from, the most important part was making sure that it was 180A alternator from Valeo, which they did.

My Alternator was $150.00

So I set out to replace it, and to my surprise it was the most simple service I have done to my car.  I only had to remove the Air intake box and I had access to all.

I pulled the belt off it and I un did the 4 screws holding it, I loosen the 1 connector and 1 (hot) red wire, then out it came.  I put the new one in and put everything back and that was it.

Very simple to remove and replace.

Make sure to disconnect the Negative from the battery before you start working on the car

After you remove the intake air box, you have good access to the 4 screws to remove the Alternator

Replacement didn't come with Pulley, make sure you save it from the original

Pulley removed

Old alternator with pulley

I think it failed because it had all this "oil" with dirt and it didn't vent right, eventually it overheated I think

Connection cable unplugged

To charge the battery back up I left it charging overnight

I hope this was helpful to you!


Link to Blog Main Page:  See them all

No comments:

Post a Comment