Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Angel Eye Upgrade "Halo lights" and Headlight Bulb replacement

Angel Eye Halo Light upgrade 7000K 6W, and Headlight Bulb replacement Xenon 6000K 35W HID:
BMW E90 300i 2006

Well it happened, Two of my Halo lights finally went out, it was the very first time since I upgraded to the new 7K LED.   I didn't write much about when I upgraded, but this time I wanted to show you what they look like and I want to tell you why I upgraded.

Why Upgrade to LED
To start the LED 7K Halo lights don't last any longer than the regular Bulb lights that come with the car, when I replaced the original bulbs they were $70 dollars for 1 bulb back in 2008 or so....  The New LED lights are not any brighter, but Because they are 7K they don't look "Brown" color, these actually look more "White" which is what the newer BMW Halo lights have, so it upgrades the car look by replacing the Bulb to LED 7K

Cost of LED Halo 7K lights aka Angel Eyes
Cost fluxuates, but usually it's around $25.00 dollars, now these LEDs come in pairs, if you have Amazon Prime you don't pay for shipping, the current prices should be on the Amazon link below.

Here is a link if you are interested in getting them:
Halo light 7K White color LED 
Procedure to remove old LED light
IMPORTANT:  To replace you DON'T have to remove the tire like most Youtube video say.  But you do have to lift the car up to give you clearance.  The car is very low to the ground and when you lift it you gain the extra few inches needed for clearance to remove the screws.

Remove this to gain access to the Bulb area, only way to replace the bulb...
Remove the cover, it's about 6 screws and then it comes out, and you will have plenty of clearance to remove the bulb
You need to lift the car to get the access
Plenty of clearance to remove bulb
No need to remove the tire...
LED light

You have to remove 2 screws Torx 15 one per side
Must remove to get access to Light 
you can change all the bulbs by doing this, "blinker, main headlight, halo"
Why they went out...
I had a bad Alternator and for some strange reason the two Halo lights went out a couple of days apart,  just before the alternator completely stopped working, I took apart the LED lights to see what was bad, and for sure it looks like the 2 LED that are in the heatsink housing went out, it's a very simple pcb board to troubleshoot, I think the LEDs where probably dropping below voltage or spiked and it damaged them, the alternator was intermittent so it was hard to tell, but common sense tells me that is what happened.


 Damaged LEDs, I think they are in series so it makes sense that both would go out at the same time, picture above.

But at the end it's easier than most other things I've done to the car, and I am happy they are working again, because it's the Halo lights that give the car an extra distinctive look.

------
Now the other lights...
Main Headlight Bulb Xenon Ballast HID
If you are interested in replacing the Headlight "the regular headlights not the Halo, this is what they look like:

How to get to them:You have access from inside the engine, but better access from under the wheel well, I had taken the wheel well plastic off already, so I decided to take them out.  Here are a few pictures.
Amazon link at end of article...

Original Xenon HID that came with the car

I took one out to see how it looked because for some reason it kept turning OFF randomly, and I believe that it was not bulb and not a loose cable, and this only confirmed it, because the bulb looked like this:
This fog inside the Bulb is not normal, I will replace it soon, It powers ON but is intermittent


I have to say this took longer than I anticipated, not because it's hard, it's just a lot tidiuse work to remove screws in odd places, but well worth it... it's about 45 minutes per bulb... max...


Until next time....


Main Headlight Bulb Xenon HID Replacement (Pair) Diamond White color


Halo LED replacement:

No comments:

Post a Comment