Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Headlight Level Regulator arm failure

Headlight Level Regulator bracket arm failure
AKA: Adaptive Headlight control arm
Xenon Level Sensor Arm, Headlight adjustment arm, many different ways to call it...

For BMW 330i 2006 E90

Like most of you I don't really think much of the mechanism needed for headlight steering.  I just assume it's taking inputs from the Steering wheel, it would make sense if they were designed like that, but that is not the case.  It's actually determined by a small mechanism located in the left side, driver side, under the wheel.  As you steer, it moves a small mechanism that determines where the main headlights should be pointed to and adjusts the lights accordingly.  Assuming you have Xenon headlights of course. 

The Problem:
The arm just snapped off, when I was trying to move it, I shouldn't say it snapped of, because it is many many years old, I should say it gave it all it had, and it finally failed.... very easily, after many miles of use.


What is the Headlight Level Regulator bracket arm:
The headlight regulator level is attached to the bracket pictured below.  It moves up and down, to determine if the wheel is moving left or right.  It adjusts the lights accordingly.  



Location:
There is only 1, and it's located under the Driver side Steering knuckle, if you remove the wheel you will see it.

Why did I end up with a broken arm mechanism:
It all started with a change of the shocks.  In order to remove the shocks I needed to remove the little ARM mechanism away so it wouldn't get damaged.  But in the process, I broke it.  It was surprisingly easy to damage, being that it was so old.

Failure point:
The failure point is the area where the bracket meets the arm.  The bracket is crimped on and it's very easily to separate.  And of course mine separated in that way.  



Luckily the part is not very expensive, and VERY EASY to replace.

Tools needed to remove:
You will need (2) 10MM wrench, or a crescent wrench and 10MM.  To remove the clamp, you will need a needle nose pliers, that's it.

You will also need to remove the wheel to get good access, it can be done without removing the wheel but it's more difficult.

Price : $ 10 to 15 dollars, depending on where you get it.
Where I got a replacement : I got mine from FCP Euro, got it very fast.

This is the part number if you are interested
Part number: 37 14 6 763 733


I hope this was helpful to you!

I post a ton of BMW 330I E90 related content, I have a lot of other posts, check them out, link below to the main page.
Comment below if you have any questions...

Thank again and until next time

See all my Blogs posts, link to main page: See them all!

Follow me on Facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment