Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Trunk Strut Replacement, E90 2006 330i BMW

Trunk Strut Replacement
E90 330i 2006 BMW 

By far the easier repair i've done to the BMW, anybody can do this!

It is very difficult to get something from the trunk with just one hand, because the other hand is busy holding up the trunk lid.... if your struts are bad, you know exactly what I am referring to.

You see after a while the struts lose their ability to hold the trunk UP.  To make your life easier... it's best to replace them.  Very easy problem to fix!

Today we will discuss how to replace them.  These are the steps...

First:
Before you do anything... order the CORRECT struts, it took me 3 tries to get the correct ones.  Make sure they are the correct length, because if they are 1/2 an inch or an inch too long..., you will "STRUGGLE" a lot... to just give up at the end...because the trunk won't close....  I accidentally picked the wrong model of car on Amazon, looking for a cheaper alternative, I accidently picked one that didn't fit my car.  Ofcourse, I didn't find out until they arrived, and they were an inch too long... later I found out they were for a Lexus trunk.... LOL... not sure how I missed that, when I ordered them.

The new replacement struts should be EXACTLY the same size in length...as the old ones, "Extended" of course.
Old struts  -- New Strut(inside bag).  They are exactly the same length.

Second: Removal of old strut
All you have to do is pry on the metal clip and pull away, then pull the strut out.  I used an angled pick, it worked really good.  It's okay if the clip is taken out completely, as they will be thrown away.  The new strut should come with new clip.

Third : Clean
Make sure you clean the Ball where the strut was seating, as you can see mine was very dirty.  If you leave it dirty like this, it will make the ball smaller from the dirt rubbing inside the strut....and then the strut will fall out of the ball... YOU DON'T want to deal with that problem... way more expensive to fix... just clean your balls please.... LOL


Fourth: Grease
Make sure your new strut comes with Grease, check inside the cavity.  If it doesn't have grease, apply a bit inside, don't go crazy, just a little will do.

Installation:
To install the strut just PUSH the strut cavity into the Ball and it will snap in place.

It's that easy!


Close and Open the trunk a few times to make sure the grease takes... The first and second time closing the trunk it will feel weird, like it's stuck, but that is okay, if you keep moving up and down the struts will fee normal... after a few tries.

Service: 
While you are in here, make sure to apply a bit of grease to all of the joints inside the trunk...  You car will thank you for it.  I used standard gear grease.





Where to buy:
I got my struts from Amazon.  Like I said earlier, do you homework, because it's very easy to get the wrong struts from Amazon.

These are the one I got....I am not affiliated to the seller, after a few tries, these were perfect.  The price was competitive too.  Less than $20 dollars shipped, for TWO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C8UG5SK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1



I hope this was helpful to you.

I post a ton of BMW 330I E90 related content, I have a lot of other posts, check them out, link below to the main page.
Comment below if you have any questions...

Thank again and until next time

See all my Blogs posts, link to main page: See them all!



Follow me on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment