Thursday, May 23, 2019

Cabin Air Filter Replacement E90

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
BMW 330i 2006 E90  250K miles strong...

So I am guessing that if you are reading this it's because 1 of 2 things happened, either your E90 is telling you it's time to replace the cabin air filter or you just can't stand the smell of a Dirty air filter, or in my case burnt oil smell, mixed in with dirt and old filter, lol.  If that is the case keep reading...

In this post I cover where to buy it, tools as well as instructions on how to replace the filter...

Well... let's get to it...

How to replace the Cabinet air filter 101
If you didn't know the cabin air filter and the engine air filter are two completely different things, they both do the same thing in essence, but the cabinet air filter is meant to keep the inside of the car smelling "good", I am not going to say "nice" because that is not true either, and this is how you do it. 

The Engine air filter is much smaller and it's something we will not cover in today's post.

First
-Open the hood, the latch release is inside the car just to the left of the steering wheel, it's up against the side of where your left foot to rest when driving, Pull once on the lever to release the hood.

Second
- Then go to the front of the car just to lip of the hood and feel for a hood release lever, pull up and you will completely be able to release the hood, then pull up...
The cabin filter is the big rectangular part in the middle of the picture
Inside the plastic part is the actual filter about 3 feet in length
This is the new one

The old one is very dirt and you can actually smell it inside the car,
Believe me it doesn't smell nice, 

The air filter is big...I know it's definitely over kill, but then again not really, I have other cars and they are not as big, but I also don't have to replace them as often, so it's a matter of preference I guess.

Let's continue with the process...

Third
- Next you have to remove 6 screws total to get the filter off, these are it, picture below. 

2 on the side

Again the two screws on the side

The two in the middle of the pictures.
Disregard the two zip ties, they are there for another purpose :)

Then the assembly is off.

Fourth
-Take the old filter out and install new one, it only goes one way, so you can't mess this up.

Tip:  The new filter will have 2 tabs that must go "under" the plastic lip, you will know what I mean when you get to it.  If you did it right it will be obvious...

Fifth
- Then press the filter in and it will snugg in place.  You will need to "Flex" the air filter in place, don't be afraid of it, it's okay to do so.  When I say Flex, I mean push on it and it will flex in place, to its final resting place.

Sixth
- 3 latches snap in place when you did it right.

When you did all of this you are ready to install the assembly back in place...

Re install:

- Put back plastic (cover/filter)... back in the car and install the 6 screws.  Congratulations, that was painless wasn't it... it's that easy.

EXTRA CAR-CARE
While you are replacing the filter, also take some time to clean the duct on the side of the air filter, they get filed with leaves and stuff, this is where the water drains out of the front of the car, so it's a good idea to clean it.

Pull on the plastic mesh up to remove, it's easy, then clean

Pull on the plastic mesh up to remove, it's easy, then clean
TOOLS
You will need a 5/16 socket, it will make your life a bit more easier, with an extension if you have it.
extension is very helpful, believe me!!!

5/16 ths

Where to buy Cabin Air filter:
I usually get my air filter from Amazon, but sometimes when available I just get it from Autozone.
This is the part number if you are interested:
Amazon link:
BMW 2006 330i Cabin Air filter from Amazon  $15 dollars, not very expensive...


I hope this was helpful to you.

I post a ton of BMW 330I E90 related content, I have a lot of other posts, check them out, link below to the main page.
Comment below if you have any questions...

Thank again and until next time

See all my Blogs posts, link to main page: See them all!




No comments:

Post a Comment